Subject: DAV properties / PROPFIND vs GET/HEAD

From: "Julian Reschke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 19:44:34 +0100

Hi,

RFC2518 currently says that the values of get* properties must match those
HTTP headers returned upon a GET/HEAD request "without accept headers" (for
instance, see 13.3).

I'd like to see clarified

a) the rational for this restriction, and

b) a precise definition of what "accept" headers are. Looking at RFC2616,
the only "accept" header is actually the one called "accept", while
"accept-language" does not qualify.

My personal preference would be to get rid of this language, unless we can
agree on what it's supposed to accomplish, and rephrase it accordingly. I
personally think that PROPFIND should be just an extended syntax for HEAD,
supporting additional properties and allowing collection member retrieval,
but stay completely compatible with the GET/HEAD response headers where
possible.

Julian

--
<green/>bytes GmbH -- http://www.greenbytes.de -- tel:+492512807760