Subject: Consideration of WebDAV Ordered Collections Protocol as Proposed Standard

From: "Jim Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 13:08:03 -0700

The WebDAV Working Group hereby requests consideration of the WebDAV Ordered
Collections protocol as a Proposed Standard. The specification for this
protocol can be found in <draft-ietf-webdav-ordering-protocol-08>:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-webdav-ordering-protocol-08.t
xt

Abstract:

This specification extends the WebDAV Distributed Authoring Protocol
to support server-side ordering of collection members. Of particular
interest are orderings that are not based on property values, and so
cannot be achieved using a search protocol's ordering option and
cannot be maintained automatically by the server. Protocol elements
are defined to let clients specify the position in the ordering of
each collection member, as well as the semantics governing the
ordering.

---------

It is my judgement that this specification represents the rough consensus of
the WebDAV Working Group, having passed through a 4 week long working group
last call for comments period, receiving only minimal comments (resolved in
the current -08 specification). The specification resolves known engineering
tradeoffs, and to the best of my knowledge, represents a solid basis for the
construction of interoperable implementations.

- Jim Whitehead
Co-Chair, WebDAV Working Group

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 13:23:20 -0700

Jim,
	Thanks for your message.  I have updated the draft's
status in the tracker to reflect the request for publication.
If there are issues to resolve prior to last call, I will
contact you and the working group; if not, the next
step will be a two week IETF last call for proposed standard.
			regards,
				Ted Hardie