Subject: Protocol Action: 'WebDAV Ordered Collections Protocol' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:37:51 -0400

The IESG has approved following document:

- 'WebDAV Ordered Collections Protocol '
   <draft-ietf-webdav-ordering-protocol-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the WWW Distributed Authoring and 
Versioning Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ted Hardie and Ned Freed.

Technical Summary

    The document extends the WebDAV Distributed Authoring Protocol
    to support server-side ordering of collection members, for use
    when a client's use of the search protocol's ordering option would
    not be appropriate or sufficient. It defines protocol elements that
    permit clients to specify the position of each member of a collection
    in an ordering. One common use case that has been discussed is
    maintaining markers like page numbers.

Working Group Summary

The working group held a four week last call on the document and
comments received were generally positive. There was one set of
comments received during IETF last call, and the authors revised
the documents to handle the issues. The working group acknowledged
that problem it faced represented choices among several sets of
engineering trade offs, and it believes it has come to consensus on
those trade-offs.

Note that the document specifies methods of handling client-specified
but server-maintained orderings. The presumption of this work is
that a human will generally use a webdav client to create and maintain
these orderings. The working group aims to allow further extensions
to describe automatic, server-maintained orderings, but this document
does not specify those mechanisms.

Protocol Quality

Ted Hardie reviewed this document for the IESG.

---

From: "Jim Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:17:55 -0700

Yeah! Congratulations to Julian Reschke for his diligent work bringing this
document to completion. Big thanks as well to Judy Slein, who initiated this
protocol and performed a sigificant amount of design work.

At this point the protocol goes to the RFC Editor, and will be issued as an
Proposed Standard RFC sometime in the next few months. This is the first
rung on the IETF's standards track.

- Jim

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of The IESG
> Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 4:38 PM
> To: IETF-Announce:
> Cc: Internet Architecture Board; RFC Editor; [email-masked]
> Subject: Protocol Action: 'WebDAV Ordered Collections Protocol' to
> Proposed Standard
>
>
>