Subject: WebDAV Packaging Format

From: Christian Niles <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 09:31:36 -0400

Hi All,

I'm curious to know if anyone has ever worked on a zip/tar-like file 
format for packaging a WebDAV repository. Essentially, this would allow 
someone to backup a WebDAV repository and move it to a different 
server. In my case, I need to preserve dead properties since the CMS 
I'm developing uses them in some cases to mark files for specific 
processing. I'd also like to be able to package administration files 
used by my web-based interface in a generic way for easy installation. 
I don't need to support versioning at this stage, though at a later 
stage import/export without loss of versioning histories would be nice.

My first stab at such a format would be to simply use the zip format 
with a standard layout for properties and resources. Support for 
versioning, I imagine, would be harder for various reasons, and be less 
portable between servers using just the WebDAV protocol. However, a 
common format might allow greater interoperability if each 
implementation supported import and export.

Thanks for any comments or links to existing projects dealing with this 
issue. I'm obviously curious to know how others have dealt with moving 
their repositories around.

best,
christian.

---

From: Chris Knight <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 12:12:11 -0700

Christian Niles wrote:

> format for packaging a WebDAV repository. Essentially, this would 
> allow someone to backup a WebDAV repository and move it to a different 
> versioning, I imagine, would be harder for various reasons, and be 
> less portable between servers using just the WebDAV protocol. However, 
> a common format might allow greater interoperability if each 
> Thanks for any comments or links to existing projects dealing with 
> this issue. I'm obviously curious to know how others have dealt with 
> moving their repositories around.

Take a look at sitecopy? It might be a good starting point...

http://www.lyra.org/sitecopy/