Subject: Resolving RFC2518 issue 55 ("DISPLAYNAME")

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:28:38 +0100

Hi,

looking at <http://www.webdav.org/wg/rfcdev/issues.htm>, the discussion 
back in 2000 
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2000JanMar/0108.html> 
and the recent mailing list discussion 
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2003JulSep/0123.html>, 
I'd like to propose:

1) Deprecate DAV:displayname: clearly, we don't have interoperability 
(some servers treat it as a dead property with or without a default upon 
resource creation, some servers treat is as live property based on the 
last path segment). Clients can not rely on the property being present 
(mod_dav, SAP) or being writable (IIS, Sharemation?, Slide?).

2) As the RFC2518-stated intent was to provide a *description* of the 
resource (which clearly isn't useful when it's always the same as the 
last path segment after un-escaping), I'd propose to add a *new* dead 
property to RFC2518bis called DAV:description which covers this. All 
existing servers that support dead property (thus all RFC2518-compliant 
servers) will automatically support this property, thus it can safely 
added to RFC2518bis.

Regards, Julian

-- 
<green/>bytes GmbH -- http://www.greenbytes.de -- tel:+492512807760