Subject: Protocol Action: 'WebDAV Access Control Protocol' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:58:33 -0500

The IESG has approved following document:

- 'WebDAV Access Control Protocol '
   <draft-ietf-webdav-acl-12.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the WWW Distributed Authoring and Versioning 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ted Hardie and Ned Freed.

 Technical Summary
   
   This document specifies a set of methods, headers, message bodies, 
   properties, and reports that define Access Control extensions to the 
   WebDAV Distributed Authoring Protocol. This protocol permits a client 
   to read and modify access control lists that instruct a server 
   whether to allow or deny operations upon a resource (such as 
   HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP) method invocations) by a given 
   principal. A lightweight representation of principals as Web 
   resources supports integration of a wide range of user management 
   repositories. Search operations allow discovery and manipulation of 
   principals using human names. 
   
 Working Group Summary
   
   This document is a product of the Web Distributed Authoring and 
   Versioning (WebDAV) working group of the Internet Engineering Task 
   Force.

 Protocol Quality
   
   Ned Freed reviewed this document for the IESG.

---

From: "Jim Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 16:56:31 -0800

Yeah! After over five years of work, we now have an access control protocol
standard.

Many thanks are due to Julian Reschke, Geoff Clemm, and Eric Sedlar for
pushing this draft through to completion. Additionally, there have been
many, many people over the years who have contributed to this specification
through direct work, list messages, implementation experience, reading
drafts, etc. Most of these are captured in the acknowledgements of this
draft (let me know if you think there are any omissions) -- my sincere
gratitude to everyone who has contributed.

There were many times when I didn't think this draft would *ever* see RFC
status, and so it's very gratifying that this important piece of the WebDAV
protocol architecture is now complete. We now have the basis for
interoperable access control across a wide range of client applications,
opening up WebDAV servers for many new kinds of applications.

Let's now turn our attention to DASL and bindings, and finish the final
pieces of the WebDAV protocol suite.

- Jim

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of The IESG
> Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 12:59 PM
> To: IETF-Announce:
> Cc: Internet Architecture Board; RFC Editor; [email-masked]
> Subject: Protocol Action: 'WebDAV Access Control Protocol' to Proposed
> Standard
>
>
>