Subject: RE: Resolving RFC2518 issue 55 ("DISPLAYNAME")

From: "Lisa Dusseault" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 11:16:08 -0800

I haven't heard any objection to this, and I think it's a good idea,
so I'm going to add it to RFC2518bis as things stand.

lisa

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Julian Reschke
> Sent: Monday, November 24, 2003 8:29 AM
> To: 'Webdav WG'
> Subject: Resolving RFC2518 issue 55 ("DISPLAYNAME")
> 
> 
> 
> Hi,
> 
> looking at <http://www.webdav.org/wg/rfcdev/issues.htm>, the 
> discussion 
> back in 2000 
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2000JanMar/
0108.html> 
and the recent mailing list discussion 
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2003JulSep/0123.html>, 
I'd like to propose:

1) Deprecate DAV:displayname: clearly, we don't have interoperability 
(some servers treat it as a dead property with or without a default upon 
resource creation, some servers treat is as live property based on the 
last path segment). Clients can not rely on the property being present 
(mod_dav, SAP) or being writable (IIS, Sharemation?, Slide?).

2) As the RFC2518-stated intent was to provide a *description* of the 
resource (which clearly isn't useful when it's always the same as the 
last path segment after un-escaping), I'd propose to add a *new* dead 
property to RFC2518bis called DAV:description which covers this. All 
existing servers that support dead property (thus all RFC2518-compliant 
servers) will automatically support this property, thus it can safely 
added to RFC2518bis.

Regards, Julian

-- 
<green/>bytes GmbH -- http://www.greenbytes.de -- tel:+492512807760

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 20:22:42 +0100

> so I'm going to add it to RFC2518bis as things stand.

Great. Wondering...: should we *require* this property to be writeable, 
or are there cases where it can be protected? I'd prefer to leave it 
simple, thus require it to be just a writeable property.

Julian