Subject: Status summary of various WebDAV related specs (for IETF meeting)

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:58:42 +0100

Status report for WebDAV Internet Drafts

(as seen by Julian Reschke; sorted by priority)

1) WebDAV Access Control Protocol (draft-ietf-webdav-acl)

Latest version: 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-acl-latest.html>
Current Internet Draft: 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-acl-13.html>
Issues list: 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-acl-issues.html>

This draft is on the RFC Editor queue and is expected to become an RFC 
sometime in March. Note that the "latest" version contains some minor 
editorial corrections that will be integrated into the final RFC text.

2) Binding Extensions to Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning 
(WebDAV) (draft-ietf-webdav-bind)

Latest version: 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-bind-latest.html>
Current Internet Draft: 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-bind-03.html>
Issues List: 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-bind-issues.html>

This document is (and has been for some time) close to "last call". The 
only open recorded issue is error marshalling for Depth:infinity 
operations when there is a bind loop. Current proposal addresses this 
case, but can't be implemented if the server streams PROPFIND results to 
the client.

There's also an ongoing discussion about whether RFC2518 needs to be 
clarified regarding how bindings and locking interact (see mailing list 
messages in December 2003 and January 2004).

Goal: get to last call in 2004Q2.

3) Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) Redirect Reference 
Resources (draft-ietf-webdav-redirectref-protocol)

Latest version: 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-redirectref-protocol-latest.html>
Current Internet Draft: 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-redirectref-protocol-07.html>
Issues List: 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-redirectref-protocol-issues.html>

The main issues here are marshalling changes for the distinction between 
the various redirect types (301, 302...), and also some tricky problems 
concerning compatibility with non-redirect-aware clients.

Goal: get to last call in 2004Q2.

4) WebDAV SEARCH (draft-reschke-webdav-search)

Latest versions: 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-search-latest.html>
Current Internet Draft: 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-search-06.html>
Issue List: 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-search-issues.html>

Main issues are editorial work (rewrite of error marshalling based on 
RFC3253), and how DAV:basicsearch needs to interact with typed properties.

-- 
<green/>bytes GmbH -- http://www.greenbytes.de -- tel:+492512807760