Subject: Issue 079_UNLOCK_BY_NON_LOCK_OWNER

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 16:50:37 +0200

Hi,

while I was looking for the resolution for 
"079_UNLOCK_BY_NON_LOCK_OWNER", I came across the following text in bis-05:

> 8.12    UNLOCK Method 
>     
>    The UNLOCK method removes the lock identified by the lock token in 
>    the Lock-Token request header from the Request-URI and all other 
>    resources included in the lock.  The root of the lock MUST be named 
>    by the Request-URI, not any other resource within the scope of the 
>    lock.  Servers SHOULD redirect the UNLOCK request to the lock root.  
>    Failing that, servers MAY fail an UNLOCK request to a resource that 
>    is not directly locked (not the root of the lock) with error code 
>    400 (Bad Request). 

1) It should say "...in the Lock-Token request header from the resource 
identified by the Request-URI and all other resources included in the 
lock." (old text from RFC2518)

2) "The root of the lock MUST be named by the Request-URI, not any other 
resource within the scope of the lock.": What is this supposed to mean? 
That the Request-URI MUST identify the lock root? I think this needs 
clarification.

3) "Servers SHOULD redirect the UNLOCK request to the lock root. Failing 
that, servers MAY fail an UNLOCK request to a resource that is not 
directly locked (not the root of the lock) with error code 400 (Bad 
Request).": Again, I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. If the 
resource identified by the Request-URI is not the lock root, it seems 
that the previous statement REQUIRES the server to fail the request, not 
to do a "redirect" (what kind of redirect would that be?).

Back to issue "079_UNLOCK_BY_NON_LOCK_OWNER":

"Resolved in part by putting it under ACL control: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2002JanMar/0002.html 
and the response that follows it."

The referenced mailing list entry indicates that we want text to be 
added to the spec, yet I can't find in in bis-05 (al least not under 
UNLOCK).

Best regards, Julian

-- 
<green/>bytes GmbH -- http://www.greenbytes.de -- tel:+492512807760