Subject: LOCK refresh on indirectly locked resource

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 19:39:43 +0200

It's some time ago that somebody asked how servers implement this today. 
I finally got around to write a test case (attached JScript), including

1) using a no-tag list If header,
2) using a tagged If header, specifying the lock root and
2) using a tagged If header, specifying the indirectly locked resource.

Results:

IIS5: does not support depth infinity locks on collections

SAP EP 5.x: allows all combinations

Xythos Webfile Server (current version from www.sharemation.com): allows 
all combinations, but seems to loose the timeout upon lock refresh

Apache2.0.50/mod_dav: *crashes*, see 
<http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=31183>

So I'd propose to wait what the Apache/mod_dav developers have to say. 
Right now it seems that servers do not seem to care.

Best regards, Julian

-- 
<green/>bytes GmbH -- http://www.greenbytes.de -- tel:+492512807760

---

From: Joe Orton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:57:29 +0100

> 2) using a tagged If header, specifying the indirectly locked resource.

Is your latter (2) behaviour defined by 2518 or 2518bis? I suppose both
are equivalent by 2518 at least.

> Results:
...
> <http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=31183>

It looks like the code path for indirectly refreshing the lock had never
been tested in mod_dav, it has never worked AFAICT. I can't find any
reports of this bug being triggered before, either, so I guess this is
not the most widely used protocol feature...

(I've made a new release of the litmus test suite which also includes a
test for an indirect lock refresh for any others who are interested and
can't run JScript: http://www.webdav.org/neon/litmus/)

Regards,

joe

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 11:21:04 +0200

> are equivalent by 2518 at least.

I don't think RFC2518 defines any of these. This is why we were trying 
to find out what servers actually *do* implement, so that it can be 
clarified in RFC2518bis. IMHO, nobody seems to be doing this in practice 
(otherwise the bug in mod_dav would have surfaced earlier); thus 
RFC2518bis probably should say that you can't do a LOCK refresh that way.

> not the most widely used protocol feature...

Yep.

> can't run JScript: http://www.webdav.org/neon/litmus/)

Thanks, Joe. Your work on Neon and Litmus is a really a big contribution 
to WebDAV.

Best regards, Julian