Subject: [Bug 45] New: DAV request header

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 05:03:04 -0800

http://ietf.cse.ucsc.edu:8080/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=45

           Summary: DAV request header
           Product: WebDAV-RFC 2518-bis
           Version: -06
          Platform: Other
               URL: http://http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-
                    auth/2004JulSep/0154.html
        OS/Version: other
            Status: NEW
          Severity: normal
          Priority: P2
         Component: 09.  HTTP Headers for Distributed Authoring
        AssignedTo: [email-masked]
        ReportedBy: [email-masked]
                CC: [email-masked]

9.1

Thanks for adding it, however I think we need to do some more work:

    As an optional request header, this header allows the client to
    advertise compliance with named features.  Clients need not
    advertise 1, 2 or bis because a WebDAV server currently doesn't need
    that information to decide how to respond to requests defined in
    this specification or in HTTP/1.1.  However, future extensions may
    define client compliance codes.  When used as a request header, the
    DAV header MAY affect caching so this header SHOULD NOT be used on
    all GET requests.

1) Just say generally that only those feature names are allowed where 
the spec explicitly defines what it means (in a request!). For 
RFC2518bis this means that none of the feature names defined here may be 
used.

2) "When used as a request header, the DAV header MAY affect caching so 
this header SHOULD NOT be used on all GET requests." - this is 
misleading. Either it is allowed on GET, or it isn't. If the request 
header affects a cacheable GET result, the origin server MUST specify 
that in the "Vary" header.

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug, or are watching someone who is.