Subject: [Bug 44] New: OPTIONS *

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 05:01:11 -0800

http://ietf.cse.ucsc.edu:8080/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=44

           Summary: OPTIONS *
           Product: WebDAV-RFC 2518-bis
           Version: -06
          Platform: Other
               URL: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-
                    auth/2004JulSep/0154.html
        OS/Version: other
            Status: NEW
          Severity: critical
          Priority: P2
         Component: 09.  HTTP Headers for Distributed Authoring
        AssignedTo: [email-masked]
        ReportedBy: [email-masked]
                CC: [email-masked]

9.1:

    This header must also appear on responses to OPTIONS requests to the
    special '*' Request-URI as defined in HTTP/1.1.  In this case it
    means that the repository supports the named features in at least
    some internal namespaces.

1) I don't remember this being discussed anywhere.
2) This is impossible to implement with the Java Servlet API, so it's unlikely
to be implemented
3) This clearly contradicts RFC2616, section 9.2 
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#OPTIONS>):

"If the Request-URI is an asterisk ("*"), the OPTIONS request is 
intended to apply to the server in general rather than to a specific 
resource. Since a server's communication options typically depend on the 
resource, the "*" request is only useful as a "ping" or "no-op" type of 
method; it does nothing beyond allowing the client to test the 
capabilities of the server. For example, this can be used to test a 
proxy for HTTP/1.1 compliance (or lack thereof)."

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug, or are watching someone who is.