Subject: mod_dav and ie web folders issue

From: Mike Lindsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:08:40 -0800

If this isn't the right list, I apologize, point me on my way and I'll
go bother the right people.

I've got an apache 2 server running with two dav directories.  One I
store my sunbird calendar files in.  It works, it's fine.  I can also
mount that directory as a ms web folder, through windows 2000. The
other directory, which has the same ownership and permissions, I can
hit in my browser, but I can't mount as a web folder.  Windows tells
me that it's not a valid folder.

But, as far as I can tell, my configuration is identical.

My conf output:
<IfModule mod_dav.c>
   DavMinTimeout 600
       <Location /cal/calendars/>
               Options None
               Dav On
               AuthType Digest
               AuthName Calendars
               AuthDigestDomain /cal/calendars/
               AuthDigestFile /etc/apache2/conf/digest_pw
               Require valid-user
               <Limit PUT POST DELETE PROPFIND PROPPATCH MKCOL COPY
MOVE LOCK UNLOCK>
               </Limit>
       </Location>
       <Location /roam/mike/>
               Options None
               Dav On
               AuthType Digest
               AuthName Mike
               AuthDigestDomain /roam/mike/
               AuthDigestFile /etc/apache2/conf/digest_pw
               Require valid-user
               <Limit PUT POST DELETE PROPFIND PROPPATCH MKCOL COPY
MOVE LOCK UNLOCK>
               </Limit>
       </Location>
</IfModule>

access_log output for the failed mount:
192.138.150.250 - - [12/Jan/2005:22:43:32 +0000] "OPTIONS /roam HTTP/1.1" 200 -
192.138.150.250 - - [12/Jan/2005:22:43:32 +0000] "GET /_vti_inf.html
HTTP/1.1" 404 346
192.138.150.250 - - [12/Jan/2005:22:43:32 +0000] "POST
/_vti_bin/shtml.exe/_vti_rpc HTTP/1.1" 404 360
192.138.150.250 - - [12/Jan/2005:22:43:32 +0000] "OPTIONS /roam/mike
HTTP/1.1" 200 -

and for the successful mount:
192.138.150.250 - - [12/Jan/2005:23:22:21 +0000] "OPTIONS /cal HTTP/1.1" 200 -
192.138.150.250 - - [12/Jan/2005:23:22:21 +0000] "PROPFIND
/cal/calendars HTTP/1.1" 207 789
192.138.150.250 - - [12/Jan/2005:23:22:26 +0000] "PROPFIND
/cal/calendars HTTP/1.1" 207 6295

-- 
Mike Lindsey

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:46:37 +0100

Mike Lindsey wrote:
 > ...

Hi,

it would be interesting to see full HTTP traces for both cases.

Best regards, Julian

-- 
<green/>bytes GmbH -- http://www.greenbytes.de -- tel:+492512807760

---

From: Elias Sinderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:12:25 -0800

Mike Lindsey wrote:

>[...] My conf output:
>[...] <Location /roam/mike/>
>[...] access_log output for the failed mount:
>[...] 192.138.150.250 - - [12/Jan/2005:22:43:32 +0000] "GET /_vti_inf.html HTTP/1.1" 404 346
>192.138.150.250 - - [12/Jan/2005:22:43:32 +0000] "POST /_vti_bin/shtml.exe/_vti_rpc HTTP/1.1" 404 360
>192.138.150.250 - - [12/Jan/2005:22:43:32 +0000] "OPTIONS /roam/mike HTTP/1.1" 200 -
>
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't appear to be a DAV 
issue. Note the differing locations in your DAV configuration 
(/roam/mike/) and requests (/_vti_inf.html and 
/_vti_bin/shtml.exe/_vti_rpc), where the requests return 404s (Not 
Found). Also note that GET and POST won't really test your DAV 
configuration, even if pointed at the DAV enabled area of your server. 
As your configurations appear identical, you may wish to point your 
Sunbird (DAV) client at /roam/mike to see if that works as expected.

Cheers,
Elias

---

From: Mike Lindsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:05:40 -0800

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:29:14 +0100, Julian Reschke
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> What we see is Windows trying to connect through Frontpage Server
> Extensions (which occurs when it thinks there is no WebDAV support).

But there -is- webdav support.  I can connect to that directory with a
different dav client, just fine.

Any ideas on how to convince windows that it's a dav directory?  Or
where to look for logs (hahah) that might give a better idea of what
windows thinks is wrong?   I've tried on multiple machines with the
same error.

--
Mike Lindsey

---

From: Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:28:25 -0800

You might look at the response to the first OPTIONS request (via 
TCPdump or sniffer), in each case, to see if the server is returning 
something different.  If the server is returning the identical thing 
(particularly the custom non-standard Microsoft header that Web Folders 
used to expect) then start looking at the client side steps instead.

lisa

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:29:14 +0100

Julian

---

From: Mike Lindsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:31:55 -0800

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:38:24 -0800, Elias Sinderson
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Unfortunately I'm not as familliar with the Windows implementation of
> DAV as I am with the protocol specification iteself. However, it is

tcpdump at the end..

> P.S. have you tried using other (non-MS) WebDAV clients?

Can you recommend any that would allow me to mount a webdav share as a
drive or folder on a windows box?

tcpdump:
tcpdump -xx -n -i 1 -p -ttt -vv   port 80 > webdav.dump
tcpdump: listening on eth0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 68 bytes
000000 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 116, id 45028, offset 0, flags [DF], length: 48) 67.174.
229.158.2119 > 64.71.143.243.80: S [tcp sum ok] 1157708351:1157708351(0) win 655
35 <mss 1360,nop,nop,sackOK>
       0x0000:  0090 27f6 493a 0030 71f0 1dfe 0800 4500  ..'.I:.0q.....E.
       0x0010:  0030 afe4 4000 7406 5d5c 43ae e59e 4047  .0..@.t.]\C...@G
       0x0020:  8ff3 0847 0050 4501 3a3f 0000 0000 7002  ...G.PE.:?....p.
       0x0030:  ffff 0225 0000 0204 0550 0101 0402       ...%.....P....
000143 IP (tos 0x0, ttl  64, id 0, offset 0, flags [DF], length: 48) 64.71.143.2
43.80 > 67.174.229.158.2119: S [tcp sum ok] 1514121766:1514121766(0) ack 1157708
352 win 5840 <mss 1460,nop,nop,sackOK>
       0x0000:  0030 71f0 1dfe 0090 27f6 493a 0800 4500  .0q.....'.I:..E.
       0x0010:  0030 0000 4000 4006 4141 4047 8ff3 43ae  .0..@.@.AA@G..C.
       0x0020:  e59e 0050 0847 5a3f aa26 4501 3a40 7012  ...P.GZ?.&E.:@p.
       0x0030:  16d0 e679 0000 0204 05b4 0101 0402       ...y..........
022001 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 116, id 45029, offset 0, flags [DF], length: 40) 67.174.
229.158.2119 > 64.71.143.243.80: . [tcp sum ok] 1:1(0) ack 1 win 65535
       0x0000:  0090 27f6 493a 0030 71f0 1dfe 0800 4500  ..'.I:.0q.....E.
       0x0010:  0028 afe5 4000 7406 5d63 43ae e59e 4047  .(..@.t.]cC...@G
       0x0020:  8ff3 0847 0050 4501 3a40 5a3f aa27 5010  ...G.PE.:@Z?.'P.
       0x0030:  ffff 2a0e 0000 0000 0000 0000            ..*.........
006161 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 116, id 45030, offset 0, flags [DF], length: 209) 67.174
.229.158.2119 > 64.71.143.243.80: P 1:170(169) ack 1 win 65535
       0x0000:  0090 27f6 493a 0030 71f0 1dfe 0800 4500  ..'.I:.0q.....E.
       0x0010:  00d1 afe6 4000 7406 5cb9 43ae e59e 4047  ....@.t.\.C...@G
       0x0020:  8ff3 0847 0050 4501 3a40 5a3f aa27 5018  ...G.PE.:@Z?.'P.
       0x0030:  ffff e620 0000 4f50 5449 4f4e 5320 2f72  ......OPTIONS./r
       0x0040:  6f61 6d20                                oam.
000090 IP (tos 0x0, ttl  64, id 649, offset 0, flags [DF], length: 40) 64.71.143
.243.80 > 67.174.229.158.2119: . [tcp sum ok] 1:1(0) ack 170 win 6432
       0x0000:  0030 71f0 1dfe 0090 27f6 493a 0800 4500  .0q.....'.I:..E.
       0x0010:  0028 0289 4000 4006 3ec0 4047 8ff3 43ae  .(..@.@.>.@G..C.
       0x0020:  e59e 0050 0847 5a3f aa27 4501 3ae9 5010  ...P.GZ?.'E.:.P.
       0x0030:  1920 1045 0000                           ...E..
000873 IP (tos 0x0, ttl  64, id 650, offset 0, flags [DF], length: 328) 64.71.14
3.243.80 > 67.174.229.158.2119: P 1:289(288) ack 170 win 6432
       0x0000:  0030 71f0 1dfe 0090 27f6 493a 0800 4500  .0q.....'.I:..E.
       0x0010:  0148 028a 4000 4006 3d9f 4047 8ff3 43ae  .H..@.@.=.@G..C.
       0x0020:  e59e 0050 0847 5a3f aa27 4501 3ae9 5018  ...P.GZ?.'E.:.P.
       0x0030:  1920 6fef 0000 4854 5450 2f31 2e31 2032  ..o...HTTP/1.1.2
       0x0040:  3030 204f                                00.O
232931 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 116, id 45031, offset 0, flags [DF], length: 40) 67.174.
229.158.2119 > 64.71.143.243.80: . [tcp sum ok] 170:170(0) ack 289 win 65247
       0x0000:  0090 27f6 493a 0030 71f0 1dfe 0800 4500  ..'.I:.0q.....E.
       0x0010:  0028 afe7 4000 7406 5d61 43ae e59e 4047  .(..@.t.]aC...@G
       0x0020:  8ff3 0847 0050 4501 3ae9 5a3f ab47 5010  ...G.PE.:.Z?.GP.
       0x0030:  fedf 2965 0000 0000 0000 0000            ..)e........

--
Mike Lindsey