Subject: Discovering bindings in BIND

From: Joe Hildebrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:15:47 -0700

Assume I'm writing an authoring client, and want to show UI to the user with
an enumeration of all of the bindings to a particular resource.  Section 2.9
of BIND says I get the DAV:parent-set property.  However, section 3.2 says
(and the example in 3.2.1 confirms) that not all of the binding paths can be
returned in that property.

Is the idea that the client would walk up the tree looking for other paths
to this resource?

-- 
Joe Hildebrand 

Confidentiality Note: 
This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential
and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this email
message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible
for delivery of the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is prohibited. If you have received this email in error,
please notify Jabber, Inc. immediately by telephone at +303-308-3231.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:44:12 +0100

> an enumeration of all of the bindings to a particular resource.  Section 2.9

In general, you can't display *all* bindings to a resource. There may be 
an infinite number (if a parent collection has a bind loop).

> returned in that property.

It returns all bindings (each with a URI to the collection it's in). If 
you need to compute all *paths*, you'll need to redo that step 
recursively for these collections.

> Is the idea that the client would walk up the tree looking for other paths

Yes, if it needs to. It just has to keep in mind that doing it without 
special loop checks may result in an infinite loop.

Best regards, Julian

-- 
<green/>bytes GmbH -- http://www.greenbytes.de -- tel:+492512807760

---

From: Brian Korver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:12:04 -0800

On Jan 19, 2005, at 9:44 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> In general, you can't display *all* bindings to a resource. There may 
> be an infinite number (if a parent collection has a bind loop).

Don't you mean, 'in general, you can...'?  I always assumed that having 
an infinite
number of parents is the exception.

> It returns all bindings (each with a URI to the collection it's in). 
> If you need to compute all *paths*, you'll need to redo that step 
-brian
[email-masked]

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:03:58 +0100

> number of parents is the exception.

Well, in *general*, you can't. In many cases, you can. And you can 
always if your server either doesn't support collection bindings or 
somehow rejects bind loop creation attempts.

Regards, Julian

---

From: Geoffrey M Clemm <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:02:50 -0500

One minor terminological correction.

When Julian said "you can't display *all* bindings to a resource",
he meant to say "you can't display all paths a resource is mapped to"
(you can display all bindings to a resource, since there are only
a finite number of them, and they are enumerated by the DAV:parent-set
property).

Cheers,
Geoff

Julian wrote on 01/19/2005 12:44:12 PM:
> 
> Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> > Assume I'm writing an authoring client, and want to show UI to theuser 
with