Subject: State of a lock

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:43:39 +0100

Hi,

in 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-locking-latest.html>, 
I just extended the description of the status of a WebDAV lock to also 
contain information about the authenticated principal on whose behalf 
the lock was created. To clarify the role of "Lock Owner", I renamed 
that subsection to "Client-supplied Lock Owner Information". Both 
changes should now make it clear that the state of a lock indeed may 
include both pieces of information (which may have little relation to 
each other).

The new text reads:

2.5.5  Client-supplied Lock Owner Information (optional)

    Clients can submit information about the lock owner when creating a
    lock.  This information should be sufficient for either directly
    contacting a principal (such as a telephone number or email URI), or
    for discovering the principal (such as the URL of a homepage).

    Owner information is kept with the lock so that it can be returned in
    the DAV:lockdiscovery property upon request.  Note that this
    information is entirely client-controlled, thus a server MUST store
    the information faithfully just like if it appeared in a WebDAV dead
    property (see [RFC2518], section 4).

2.5.6  Lock Creator (optional)

    When a lock has been created by an authenticated principal, the
    server SHOULD keep information about that principal with the lock.
    This enables the server to subsequently check whether a lock
    identified by a lock token submitted in a request belongs to the same
    principal on whose behalf the lock was initially created (see
    Section 8.2.1 below).

(Change tracked at 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-locking-latest.html#rfc.issue.lock_state_auth_principal>).

Feedback appreciated,

Julian

---

From: Geoffrey M Clemm <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:59:12 -0500

Sounds reasonable to me.

Cheers,
Geoff

> <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-locking-
> latest.html#rfc.issue.lock_state_auth_principal>).
> 
> Feedback appreciated,
> 
> Julian
>

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:38:36 +0100

Hi,

a new version (-07) of my experimental stand-alone WebDAV locking spec 
has been submitted and is available from 
<http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-reschke-webdav-locking-07.txt>.

Changes were:

--snip--
Appendix F.  Resolved issues (to be removed by RFC Editor before
              publication)

    Issues that were either rejected or resolved in this version of this
    document.

F.1  lock_state_auth_principal

    Type: change

    [email-masked] (2005-02-13): Mention the principal that
    was authenticated when the lock was created as part of the state of a
    lock; disambiguate with what previously was called "lock owner".

    Resolution (2005-02-13): Done.

F.2  abnf

    Type: change

    [email-masked] (2005-02-12): Clarify BNF syntax
    (Notation, and when used).

    Resolution (2005-02-13): Done.

F.3  uri_draft_ref

    Type: edit

    [email-masked] (2005-01-01): Fix reference to
    draft-fielding-uri-rfc2396bis-07.

    Resolution (2005-01-25): Update to RFC3986.

F.4  D_delegate_UUID_definition

    Type: change

    [email-masked] (2005-01-30): Delegate the definition of
    UUIDs to draft-mealling-uuid-urn.

    Resolution (2005-02-06): Done.  See also http://lists.w3.org/
    Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2005JanMar/0187.html.
--snip--

Edits continue on 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-locking-latest.html>.

Best regards, Julian

-- 
<green/>bytes GmbH -- http://www.greenbytes.de -- tel:+492512807760