Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-webdav-quota-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 15:32:51 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the WWW Distributed Authoring and Versioning Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Quota and Size Properties for DAV Collections
	Author(s)	: B. Korver, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-webdav-quota-06.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 2005-2-9
	
WebDAV servers are frequently deployed with quota (size) limitations.
   This document discusses the properties and minor behaviors needed for
   clients to interoperate with quota (size) implementations on WebDAV
   repositories.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-webdav-quota-06.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-webdav-quota-06.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-webdav-quota-06.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:31:59 +0100

Hi,

below is my updated issues list...

Best regards, Julian

-- snip --

Issues with draft-ietf-webdav-quota-06.txt

Content

01-C03 quota vs disk space
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2003JanMar/0439.html>
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2003JanMar/0460.html>
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2003OctDec/0184.html>
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2003OctDec/0193.html>

The spec says that servers may expose physical disk limits as quota.

a) This is incompatible with NFS from which we're borrowing the 
semantics (it treats disk limits as a separate property, and so should we)

Update -04: this still appears in the text, but is less critical now 
that authorability of the quota is gone. I'd still like to see the 
working group make an explicit decision to keep this, because it's IMHO 
clearly outside the scope of this spec (I'd prefer separate properties).

04-C07, section 3, DAV:quota-available-bytes

<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-quota-05.html#rfc.section.3>

   "Support for this property is REQUIRED on collections, and OPTIONAL on
    other resources.  A server SHOULD implement this property for each
    resource that has the DAV:quota-used-bytes property."

What's the motivation for the distinction? (same in section 4)

04-C11, section 7

      "The total size of a collection, DAV:quota-used-bytes, is not
       necessarily a sum of the DAV:getcontentlength properties for
       resources stored in the collection."

Actually, it won't be in most cases I'm aware of. Please either rephrase 
it (so this doesn't sound like an edge case) or drop the point.

Update -06: It's now saying

"The total size of a collection, DAV:quota-used-bytes, may not be a sum 
of the DAV:getcontentlength properties for resources stored in the 
collection."

...which isn't that different...

05-C02, Section 4

<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-quota-05.html#rfc.section.4>

I think this property is "computed" (as defined in RFC3253), and the 
spec should say so.

05-E01, section 1.2

<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-quota-05.html#rfc.section.1.2>

I'd move those parts that "import" terminology from RFC2518/3253 into a 
separate subsection ("Terminology"), and also refer to the def of 
"computed" property (I think we need that later).