Subject: CMS Project - WebDAV quota development

From: Thomas Bellembois <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 16:42:09 +0200

Hello,

Within the context of a CMS development we are currently developing a 
Slide based WebDAV server managing quotas.
We have written a small document about the way we intend to develop our 
quota system, trying to stick close to a future standard.
We would appreciate very much your opinion especially concerning a 
notion we have called "virtual root".
This document is here : 
http://www.esup-portail.org/consortium/espace/Stockage_2F/serveur/documents/specifications/specifWebDAVQuotas.html

Thank you.

Thomas

-- 
+---=(    Thomas Bellembois    )=---+
| CRI - University of Rennes 1 - FR |
| [email-masked] |
| +33 2 23 23 69 60                 |
+-----------------------------------+

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 20:17:02 +0200

> http://www.esup-portail.org/consortium/espace/Stockage_2F/serveur/documents/specifications/specifWebDAVQuotas.html 

I didn't read it all, but I noticed two things...:

"# DAV:quota-available-bytes : value in octets representing the amount 
of disk space that can be allocated to this resource for further 
allocations – in KB or MB.
# DAV:quota-used-bytes : value in octets representing the amount of disk 
space used by this resource – including its files and sub-collections 
but NOT its autonomous sub-collections – in KB or MB.
# DAV:virtual-root defines an autonomous collection – true or false."

1) The Quota properties always count in bytes (octets), not KB or MB

2) You shouldn't use a property name of DAV:virtual-root (the DAV: 
namespace is reserved for things defined in IETF standards tracks 
documents).

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Thomas Bellembois <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 16:23:36 +0200

Hello,

Thank you very much for your answer.

The KB MB or GB characters will not be used in metadata but only in the 
file used to initialize/update metadata.
The document is not clear about this point, I will modify it.

I will change the namespace for the "virtualRoot" property.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Thomas

Julian Reschke wrote:

>> We have written a small document about the way we intend to develop 
>> our quota system, trying to stick close to a future standard.
> # DAV:quota-used-bytes : value in octets representing the amount of 
> disk space used by this resource – including its files and 
> sub-collections but NOT its autonomous sub-collections – in KB or MB.

---

From: Brian Korver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 15:52:26 -0700

In the Notes section, the document asks 'Do we have to expose the
"virtualRoot" metadata to clients?'.  I think the answer is no.
The notion of virtualRoot seems to exist merely for administrative
purposes and isn't something a general-purpose client would care
to know about or be able to use in any way that would make sense
to the user.

Note that the implementation of quotas that you describe is
very similar to the implementation in Xythos' WFS.

-brian
[email-masked]

On May 10, 2005, at 7:42 AM, Thomas Bellembois wrote:
> http://www.esup-portail.org/consortium/espace/Stockage_2F/serveur/ 
> documents/specifications/specifWebDAVQuotas.html
>
> Thank you.
>
> Thomas
>
> --