Subject: Question about XML parsing or validating errors

From: "Weber, Heiko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 14:17:12 +0200

Hello,

I'm sure this has already been discussed on this list before, but
somehow I could not find anything right away about it.

Many WebDAV requests require XML in the body for input. Besides the
values of the input being incorrect, there might also be more
fundamental problems when the input is either not well-formed or does
not validate against the schemas describing the input format. How should
a WebDAV server respond in the case of such a fundamental error? Is
there some DAV:error description for that scenario, or should the server
just respond with a 400 or a 422?

Can someone point me to some specs or postings where this has been
defined or mentioned?

thanks,

   Heiko

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 15:26:33 +0200

Weber, Heiko wrote:
> I’m sure this has already been discussed on this list before, but 

Looking at <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2518.html#STATUS_422>, 
422 seems to be wrong; so you probably should use just 400. There's no 
DAV:error code for this condition (yet) -- our server sends a custom 
code for parsing errors.

> ...

Best regards, Julian