Subject: [Bug 9] XML namespace discussion

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 14:58:16 -0700

http://ietf.cse.ucsc.edu:8080/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=9

------- Additional Comments From [email-masked]  2005-10-15 14:58 -------
Text for the -08 version of the draft:

Note that "DAV:" uses a scheme name defined solely for
the purpose of creating this namespace.  Using a scheme name alone does 
not create a compliant URI according to <xref target="RFC2396">RFC2396</xref>. 
Furthermore, defining new schemes for namespaces is discouraged.
"DAV:" was defined before standard best practices emerged, and this 
namespace is still used only because of significant existing deployments. 

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are the QA contact for the bug, or are watching the QA contact.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 17:33:31 +0200

[email-masked] wrote:
 > ...

Well,

in the meantime RFC2396 has been obsoleted, and RFC3986 makes "DAV:" a 
legal URI 
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc3986.html#rfc.section.D.2.p.4>). 
Thus I'd simply this to:

--
Note that "DAV:" is an URI scheme name defined solely for
the purpose of creating this namespace.  However, defining a new URI 
scheme just for the purpose of identifying protocol elements is to be 
considered a bad practice, and should not be copied.  It is still used 
in this protocol revision because of significant existing deployments.
--

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 08:38:52 -0700

Good catch!  I'll update to 3986.

lisa

On Oct 16, 2005, at 8:33 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

>> the purpose of creating this namespace.  Using a scheme name alone 
>> does not create a compliant URI according to <xref 
>> target="RFC2396">RFC2396</xref>. Furthermore, defining new schemes 
>> for namespaces is discouraged.

---

From: Jim Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:34:10 -0700

>>
>> in the meantime RFC2396 has been obsoleted, and RFC3986 makes  
>> "DAV:" a legal URI (<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/ 
>> rfc3986.html#rfc.section.D.2.p.4>). Thus I'd simply this to:
>>

Amazing. Never thought that would happen!

- Jim