Subject: Question on bug 15

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:05:12 -0800

I am going to call consensus on this one in a week so give me your input
before then....

The basic issue is that the names are sort of reverse what people think
because they are based on post conditions. ACL (and others) already exists
and do it the reverse way. The question is we should we define future stuff
in the "forward" way...

Proposal 1: Stay consistent with ACL - put in note for implementers that
points out this is reverse of what they might expect.

Proposal 2: Switch the way we do it. Leave old document reverse and make new
documents forward. 

Pros/Cons - It is a questions of it having both reverse and forward will be
more or less confusing to implementers that just having it all reverse.

---

From: Stefan Eissing <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:10:28 +0100

> points out this is reverse of what they might expect.

+1.

> Proposal 2: Switch the way we do it. Leave old document reverse and 

-1.

---

From: Geoffrey M Clemm <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 15:10:58 -0500

I agree with Stefan that we should stay consistent (i.e. +1
for Proposal 1).

Cheers,
Geoff

---

From: Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:23:58 -0800

I've heard so many people (at interops, at meetings, readers of my 
book) complain about the confusion of the "success condition" wording 
that I'd love to do something about that if we can.  Unfortunately it 
seems we designed something which made sense only to people involved in 
the design.  First time readers are particularly confused and I think 
it takes a while for them to get it (if ever).  Is there anything we 
can do about that?

Will any of those people who spoke to me, or others, about the 
confusion of this design, speak up now if you're following the list?

Lisa

---

From: Bernard Desruisseaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:23:17 -0500

Me too.

+1 for Proposal 1.

Cheers,
Bernard

---

From: Joachim Feise <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:32:22 -0800

+1 for proposal 1.
-1 for proposal 2.

back to lurking...

-Joe