Subject: [Bug 44] OPTIONS *

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 08:39:22 -0800

http://ietf.cse.ucsc.edu:8080/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=44

------- Additional Comments From [email-masked]  2005-11-25 08:39 -------
This has been a particularly interesting issue.  Some more background:
 
 - Jeff Mogul concluded that OPTIONS is "next to useless" as currently
specified, and pointed me towards a proposal for fixing that:
http://ftp.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/draft-ietf-http-options-02.txt

 - As I recall, in interop tests we found that some clients do use OPTIONS *.

 - It is possible to implement OPTIONS * correctly with Java servlets -- Xythos
WFS did so eventually.

 - A fair amount of discussion on the WebDAV list was on or around Nov 24 2003.

 - Mark Nottingham took an interesting look at this:
http://www.mnot.net/blog/2005/04/03/options

 - And finally, as Hugh Sloan pointed out on the HTTP mailing list April 26
2004, "there have been some sub-Sahara tribes known to use OPTIONS to induce
flatulence prior to the mating ritual" ;)  That day also included a broader
discussion of use of OPTIONS by a number of HTTP extensions.

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug, or are watching someone who is.