Subject: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-reschke-webdav-url-constraints-00.txt]

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 22:27:50 +0100

Hi,

this is a first take of describing the issues around encoding non-ASCII 
characters in WebDAV URLs.

As usual, recent versions and HTML at... 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/#draft-reschke-webdav-url-constraints>.

Feedback appreciated,

Julian

-------- Original Message --------
From: - Mon Nov 14 22:24:59 2005
helo=megatron.ietf.org)	by megatron.ietf.org with esmtp (Exim 4.32)	id 
1EblHU-0007G3-Uc; Mon, 14 Nov 2005 15:50:24 -0500
Received: from odin.ietf.org ([132.151.1.176] helo=ietf.org)	by 
megatron.ietf.org with esmtp (Exim 4.32) id 1EblH9-00078w-0r	for 
[email-masked]; Mon, 14 Nov 2005 15:50:04 -0500
Received: from ietf-mx.ietf.org (ietf-mx [132.151.6.1])	by ietf.org 
(8.9.1a/8.9.1a) with ESMTP id PAA22471	for <[email-masked]>; Mon, 
14 Nov 2005 15:49:30 -0500 (EST)
Received: from [132.151.6.50] (helo=newodin.ietf.org)	by 
ietf-mx.ietf.org with esmtp (Exim 4.43) id 1EblYE-0003lg-Bp	for 
[email-masked]; Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:07:42 -0500
Received: from mlee by newodin.ietf.org with local (Exim 4.43)	id 
1EblH7-0005iN-Dc	for [email-masked]; Mon, 14 Nov 2005 15:50:01 -0500
To: [email-masked]
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 15:50:01 -0500
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-reschke-webdav-url-constraints-00.txt
Reply-To: [email-masked]
<https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce>, 
<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Post: <mailto:[email-masked]>
List-Help: <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce>, 
<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=subscribe>
Sender: [email-masked]
Errors-To: [email-masked]
X-GMX-Antivirus: -1 (not scanned, may not use virus scanner)
X-GMX-Antispam: 0 (Mail was not recognized as spam)
X-GMX-UID: bZoKY3wfeSEkefRadnQhaXN1IGRvb0Cj

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) URL constraints
	Author(s)	: J. Reschke
	Filename	: draft-reschke-webdav-url-constraints-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 2005-11-14
	
    Both WebDAV servers and clients frequently map URI-escaped characters
    inside a path segment to non-ASCII characters.  These mappings can
    only be interoperable if there is a consensus about the appropriate
    character encoding.  This document specifies a default encoding that
    is compatible with both the recommendations for URIs in HTML content
    and the "Internationalized Resource Identifiers" (IRI) specification.

    Furthermore, servers that implement a mapping to locally constrained
    names frequently do not support specific names, or silently map
    "similar" names to the same resource (for instance when content is
    stored in a filesystem that is case-preserving, but not case-
    sensitive).  For these cases, discovery and error signalling features
    are defined.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-reschke-webdav-url-constraints-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-reschke-webdav-url-constraints-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-reschke-webdav-url-constraints-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

-- 
<green/>bytes GmbH -- http://www.greenbytes.de -- tel:+492512807760
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce