Subject: URI spec RFC2396 obsoleted by RFC3986

From: Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:15:11 -0800

RFC 3986 obsoletes RFC2396  (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt).  If 
2518bis refers to 3986, this will cause some changes.

1.  WebDAV uses definitions of "absoluteURI" from the URI spec in the 
syntax of Destination and If headers:

      Destination = "Destination" ":" ( absoluteURI )
      ...
      Coded-URL = "<" absoluteURI ">"

   RFC2396 defines absolute-URI:

       absolute-URI  = scheme ":" hier-part [ "?" query ]

   RFC3986 instead defines absoluteURI:

       absoluteURI   = scheme ":" ( hier_part | opaque_part )

2.  WebDAV uses the "path" definition from the URI spec in the 
definition of Opaquelocktoken

   OpaqueLockToken-URI = "opaquelocktoken:" UUID [Extension]
   Extension = path

Path has the same name in 3986 but its definition changed.

3.  We have an example of what kind of illegal characters in URIs might 
need to be escaped:

   "For example, it is illegal to use a space character or double-quote 
in a URI"

4.  "DAV:" is now legal!

5.  IPv6 addresses are legal...

6.  Some new reserved characters: "!", "*", "'", "(", ")"

I believe the overall WebDAV spec is OK with the new RFC, but others 
should check too.

Lisa

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 09:31:45 +0100

>       absoluteURI   = scheme ":" ( hier_part | opaque_part )

Yes.

> Path has the same name in 3986 but its definition changed.

What did actually change?

>   "For example, it is illegal to use a space character or double-quote 

That's not a problem.

> I believe the overall WebDAV spec is OK with the new RFC, but others 

Agreed.