Subject: [Bug 176] New: Etag requirements (unchanged body for resource)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:04:52 -0800

http://ietf.cse.ucsc.edu:8080/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=176

           Summary: Etag requirements (unchanged body for resource)
           Product: WebDAV-RFC2518-bis
           Version: -08
          Platform: Other
               URL: http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-
                    rfc2518bis-08.html#rfc.section.8.1.4.p.3
        OS/Version: other
            Status: NEW
          Severity: normal
          Priority: P2
         Component: 08.  HTTP Methods for Distributed Authoring
        AssignedTo: [email-masked]
        ReportedBy: [email-masked]
         QAContact: [email-masked]

<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-rfc2518bis-08.html#rfc.section.8.1.4.p.3>:

"Because clients may be forced to prompt users or throw away changed content if
the ETag changes, a WebDAV server SHOULD NOT change the ETag (or getlastmodified
value) for a resource that has an unchanged body. The ETag represents the state
of the body or contents of the resource. There is no similar way to tell if
properties have changed."

That may trick people into thinking that they should keep ETag and Last-Modified
when a resource is moved (because the body didn't change, after all...), which
would be a big mistake. Furthermore the text should use consistent terminlogy,
that is either HTTP header names or WebDAV property names.

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are the QA contact for the bug, or are watching the QA contact.