Subject: [Bug 80] Specify idempotence and safeness for all new methods

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:18:55 -0800

http://ietf.cse.ucsc.edu:8080/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=80

[email-masked] changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
         [email-masked][email-masked]
             Status|ASSIGNED                    |NEW

------- Additional Comments From [email-masked]  2005-12-31 10:18 -------
Reassigning to Elias for schedule in conference call.

See also <http://rest.blueoxen.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HttpMethods>.

For the proposed changes, please follow links from
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-rfc2518bis-latest.html#rfc.issue.bz080>.
In particular:

Section 8., para. 45:
OLD:

    The results of this method SHOULD NOT be cached.

NEW:

    The results of this method SHOULD NOT be cached.  This method is both
    safe and idempotent (see Section 9.1 of [RFC2616]).

Section 8., para. 90:
OLD:

 8.3.1  Status Codes for use in 207 (Multi-Status)

NEW:

    This method is not safe, but idempotent (see Section 9.1 of
    [RFC2616]).
 
 8.3.1  Status Codes for use in 207 (Multi-Status)

Section 8., para. 110:
OLD:

 8.4.1  MKCOL Status Codes

NEW:

    Responses from a MKCOL request MUST NOT be cached. [[anchor28: Now
    that we clarify that MKCOL indeed is idempotent, does this change our
    position about result cacheability???]]  This method is not safe, but
    idempotent (see Section 9.1 of [RFC2616]).
 
 8.4.1  MKCOL Status Codes

Section 8., para. 111:
OLD:

    Responses from a MKCOL request MUST NOT be cached as MKCOL has non-
    idempotent semantics.  In addition to the general status codes
    possible, the following status codes have specific applicability to
    MKCOL:

NEW:

    In addition to the general status codes possible, the following
    status codes have specific applicability to MKCOL:

Section 8., para. 160:
OLD:

 8.9.1  COPY for Non-collection Resources

NEW:

    This method is not safe, but idempotent (see Section 9.1 of
    [RFC2616]).
 
 8.9.1  COPY for Non-collection Resources

Section 8., para. 215:
OLD:

 8.10.1  MOVE for Properties

NEW:

    This method is not safe, but idempotent (see Section 9.1 of
    [RFC2616]).
 
 8.10.1  MOVE for Properties

Section 8., para. 259:
OLD:

 8.11.1  Refreshing Locks

NEW:

    This method is neither safe, nor idempotent (see Section 9.1 of
    [RFC2616]).
 
 8.11.1  Refreshing Locks

Section 8., para. 315:
OLD:

 8.12.1  Status Codes

NEW:

    This method is not safe, but idempotent (see Section 9.1 of
    [RFC2616]).
 
 8.12.1  Status Codes

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are the QA contact for the bug, or are watching the QA contact.