Subject: [Bug 85] clarification of live property behaviour vs namespace ops needed

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:48:16 -0800

http://ietf.cse.ucsc.edu:8080/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=85

------- Additional Comments From [email-masked]  2005-12-12 14:48 -------
While looking into this, I came across the following language in Section 14.7 of
the current spec
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-rfc2518bis-latest.html#rfc.section.14.7>):

   COPY/MOVE behaviour:  This property value is dependent on the last
      modified date of the destination resource, not the value of the
      property on the source resource.  Note that some server
      implementations use the file system date modified value for the
      DAV:getlastmodified value, and this is preserved in a MOVE even
      when the HTTP Last-Modified value SHOULD change.  Thus, clients
      cannot rely on this value for caching and SHOULD use ETags.

This sounds like if the spec is trying to tell the readers that servers indeed
do not comply to RFC2616, thus should not rely on the semantics defined by
RFC2616. This is a really drastic change, which as far as I can tell has never
been discussed on the mailing list. For now I'll assume that there is *nO*
consensus to keep this in in this form.

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are the QA contact for the bug, or are watching the QA contact.