Subject: Schedule for finishing

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 21:55:38 -0800

I have had conversations with many of the key contributors, document
editors, and our AD about completing the work so I thought this would be a
good time to provide a bit of update on schedule for this WG.

We have been making fairly good progress on 2518bis but still have a ways to
go. We have been coming to resolution on about 25 bugs a week and have less
than 50 to go. We have some hard issues in that 50. By Jan 15, I would like
to see us down to 15 bugs where we don't know how we want to resolve them.
By the end of January, I would like to have a draft ready for WGLC. I
believe this is possible if we keep working very hard on the draft and work
hard to find reasonable solutions to the hard problems without getting
entrenched in what a single person feels is the best solution or things that
are effectively editorial issues. Once we get 2518bis well into WGLC, I will
try and ramp up work to finalize BIND. Given our rate of progress, and the
assumption that people are willing to work really hard to have 2518bis in
WGLC by the end of January, Ted and I are both comfortable keeping the WG
open. 

I would like to sincerely thank the Elias, Jim, Julian, Lisa, and the rest
of folks that are helping for the huge amount of time they are putting in to
this. I am not aware of any other draft in the IETF that is getting as many
person hours per week as 2518bis. I would also strongly encourage, implore,
and basically beg for people who have not been deeply involved to set aside
some time and read this document when it does reach WGLC. We need your
insight to make sure that this specification is usable for a large community
of developers. 

Thanks,

Cullen (with my WG Chair hat on)