Subject: [Bug 48] XML extensibility description

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 12:15:54 -0800

http://ietf.cse.ucsc.edu:8080/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=48

------- Additional Comments From [email-masked]  2005-12-10 12:15 -------
I'm in the process of clarifying/rewriting and came across the following issue;
feedback appreciated:

1) All elements can be extended with attributes not defined in the spec.

2) All elements defined as "ANY" may not be extended, as the definition already
defines the meaning of potential children (such as in <prop>).

3) All elements defined with element content may be extended with child elements
not defined in this spec.

This leaves...

4) Elements defined as #PCDATA. As far as I understand, the extensibility rules
in RFC2518 allow them to be extended with child elements, which recipients will
ignore when not understood. There's also a precedent in RFC3253, where
<DAV:error> is allowed to travel inside <DAV:responsedescription>.

I don't have any strong feelings about this; our implementation definitively
handles this correctly. However there's certainly reasonable doubt that this
applies to all implementations, so should we forbid this (as currently in
RFC2518bis), and just special-case DAV:responsedescription?

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug, or are watching someone who is.