Subject: [Bug 48] XML extensibility description

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 13:35:26 -0800

http://ietf.cse.ucsc.edu:8080/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=48

------- Additional Comments From [email-masked]  2005-12-10 13:35 -------
OK, I have convinced myself that extensibility indeed follows from the DTD
fragments. If people feel that the individual cases need examples, I'm oipen to
that.

The extensibility rules stated were almost consistent, although sometimes the
"unless recognized" part was missing.

The proposed change affects all of section 13 (XML elements), 14 (properties)
and some text in section 16 (XML processing). It's probably easier to review the
changes in context (see
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-rfc2518bis-latest.html#rfc.issue.bz048>),
but here are the individual changes.

Besides removing all "Extensibility" statements:

Section 13., para. 1:
OLD:

    In this section, the final line of each section gives the element
    type declaration using the format defined in [XML].  The "Value"
    field, where present, specifies further restrictions on the allowable
    contents of the XML element using BNF (i.e., to further restrict the
    values of a PCDATA element).  The "Extensibility" field discusses how
    the element may be extended in the future (or in existing extensions
    to WebDAV.
 
    All of the elements defined here may be extended by the addition of
    attributes and child elements not defined in this specification.  All
    elements defined here are in the "DAV:" namespace.

NEW:

    In this section, the final line of each section gives the element
    type declaration using the format defined in [XML].  The "Value"
    field, where present, specifies further restrictions on the allowable
    contents of the XML element using BNF (i.e., to further restrict the
    values of a PCDATA element).  Note that all elements can be extended
    according to the rules defined in Section 16.

Section 14., para. 5:
OLD:

 14.1  creationdate Property

NEW:

    Note that all property elements can be extended according to the
    rules defined in Section 16.
 
 14.1  creationdate Property

Section 14., para. 78:
OLD:

    Description:  MUST be defined on all DAV compliant resources.  The
       default value is empty.
 
    Extensibility:  MAY be extended with any child elements or attributes
       which SHOULD be ignored if not recognized.  If the element
       contains the 'collection' child element plus additional
       unrecognized elements/attributes, it should generally be treated
       as a collection.  If the element contains no recognized child
       elements it should be treated as a non-collection WebDAV-compliant
       resource.

NEW:

    Description:  MUST be defined on all DAV compliant resources.  Each
       child element identifies a specific type the resource belongs to,
       such as DAV:collection, which is the only resource type defined by
       this specification (see Section 13.3).  The default value is
       empty.

(note here Description was enhanced because it needed some of the info from the
Extensibility section)       

Section 16., para. 1:
OLD:

    All DAV compliant resources MUST ignore any unknown XML element and
    all its children encountered while processing a DAV method that uses
    XML as its command language.

NEW:

    Recipients MUST ignore unknown XML attributes, unknown XML elements
    and all of their children while processing a DAV method that uses XML
    as its command language in a request or response body.

Section 16., para. 6:
OLD:

    XML DTD fragments are included for all the XML elements defined in
    this specification.  However, legal XML may not be valid according to
    any DTD due to namespace usage and extension rules, so the DTD is
    only informational.  A recipient of a WebDAV message with an XML body
    MUST NOT validate the XML document according to any hard-coded or
    dynamically-declared DTD.

NEW:

    XML DTD fragments are included for all the XML elements defined in
    this specification.  However, correct XML will not be valid according
    to any DTD due to namespace usage and extension rules.  In
    particular:
 
    o  Element names use the "DAV:" namespace,
 
    o  Element ordering is irrelevant unless otherwise stated,
 
    o  Extension attributes (attributes not already defined by this
       specification may be added, and MUST be ignored by recipients
       unless recognized),
 
    o  Extension elements (elements not already defined by this
       specification) may be added for element type definitions other
       than "ANY" or "#PCDATA", and MUST be ignored by recipients unless
       recognized).
 
    A recipient of a WebDAV message with an XML body MUST NOT validate
    the XML document according to any hard-coded or dynamically-declared
    DTD.

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug, or are watching someone who is.