Subject: [Bug 208] spec contradictory in ETag requirements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 10:44:49 -0800

http://ietf.cse.ucsc.edu:8080/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=208

[email-masked] changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
             Status|NEW                         |RESOLVED
         Resolution|                            |FIXED

------- Additional Comments From [email-masked]  2005-12-30 10:44 -------
This bug doesn't really explain what the contradiction is thought to be...
 - RFC2616 sats the ETag header "provides the current value of the
   entity tag for the requested variant"
 - RFC2518 has the language about "the ETag header returned by a GET without
   accept headers."
Another way of stating the requirement for RFC2518 is that when the 'getetag'
property is returned, the value is returned for the default variant.

So the GET and PUT requests defined in 2616 are for the requested variant, while
the getetag property is for the default variant.  The new requirement assumes
that  these are the same (that there is only one variant) which is not always
the case in theory.  If that's the source of the problem, I can fix that -- I
think the easiest way is simply to remove the clause beginning with "as well".

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are the QA contact for the bug, or are watching the QA contact.