Subject: [Bug 177] "PROPFIND status codes" section

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:26:24 -0800

http://ietf.cse.ucsc.edu:8080/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=177

------- Additional Comments From [email-masked]  2006-01-20 11:26 -------
I din't have time yet to complete this, but here are some preliminary thoughts:

We have 2..3 different usages of HTTP status codes with Multistatus:

1) Inside response/status

This is the generic use case; the HTTP status codes should have the same
semantics as per the base spec; meaning that some will not apply (such as
Precondition Failed). This can occur on many methods as part of partial
success/failure, and on  PROPFIND requests. Note that the PROPFIND method
description currently doesn't mention these codes at all.

2a) In PROPFIND inside propstat/status
2b) In PROPPATCH insude propstat/status

In these cases, status codes just are borrowed from the base spec, and apply to
operations on individual properties, not HTTP resources.

Some more thoughts:

- (as discussed on 2006-11-18) spec should be clear that if a recipient doesn't
know what to do with a specific code, it should apply the base semantics for the
error class (basically 3xx = redirect, 4xx = client error, 5xx = server error).

- we probably also need to clarify what combinations of 1) and 2a) in the same
response are legal.

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are the QA contact for the bug, or are watching the QA contact.