Subject: [Bug 227] New: Collection state definition in conflict between BIND and RFC2518bis

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 09:42:52 -0800

http://ietf.cse.ucsc.edu:8080/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=227

           Summary: Collection state definition in conflict between BIND and
                    RFC2518bis
           Product: WebDAV-RFC2518-bis
           Version: -11
          Platform: Other
        OS/Version: other
            Status: NEW
          Severity: major
          Priority: P2
         Component: 05.  Collections of Web Resources
        AssignedTo: [email-masked]
        ReportedBy: [email-masked]
         QAContact: [email-masked]

Quoting
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-bind-12.html#rfc.section.1.2>:

"In [RFC2518], the state of a collection is defined as containing a list of
internal member URIs. If there are multiple mappings to a collection, then the
state of the collection is different when you refer to it via a different URI.
This is undesirable, since ideally a collection's membership should remain the
same, independent of which URI was used to reference it.

The notion of binding is introduced to separate the final segment of a URI from
its parent collection's contribution. This done, a collection can be defined as
containing a set of bindings, thus permitting new mappings to a collection
without modifying its membership. The authors of this specification anticipate
and recommend that future revisions of [RFC2518] will update the definition of
the state of a collection to correspond to the definition in this document."

I think BIND gets this right, and we should adopt that definition in RFC2518bis
(it won't affect anything else in the spec). If we can get to consensus for this
change, I'll happily provide spec text.

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are the QA contact for the bug, or are watching the QA contact.