Subject: [Bug 13] new ETag requirements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 09:59:11 -0800

http://ietf.cse.ucsc.edu:8080/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=13

[email-masked] changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
         [email-masked]    [email-masked]

------- Additional Comments From [email-masked]  2006-01-11 09:59 -------
As evidenced by recent discussions, there are some related issues here...

One key issue concerns when a resource is modified by the server upon PUT (e.g.
keyword expansion). In this case, the ETag cannot be used with subsequent range
requests. Julian to propose some text detailing this situation for inclusion in
the HTTP errata document.
--------
Regarding the current text in the draft, an alternate approach is to state that
ETags MUST NOT change unless the resource returned upon a GET is changed. E.g.
if properties are stored as document metadata (such as in some image file
formats), then it is permissable for an ETag to change upon PROPPATCH.

Julian to propose text to address the last point above.

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are the QA contact for the bug, or are watching the QA contact.