Subject: Interaction of WebDAV with HTTPS and problems opening files

From: Ian Stokes-Rees <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:36:43 +0000

Hi,

I have WebDAV setup on a linux apache server with HTTPS.  I am 
encountering a strange situation which is that I can map the WebDAV 
folders onto a Windows computer and then view and copy files from that 
web folder onto the local system, but I cannot directly open the files. 
  The "open" option does not exist, and double clicking does nothing. 
Dragging and dropping files or CTRL-C/CTRL-V (copying them to the local 
system) works fine and then the files can be opened.

Is anyone aware of the cause of this problem?

Also, the same system does not seem to allow me to connect to the WebDAV 
folders via HTTP.  The same username/password which works for the HTTPS 
version is rejected by the HTTP connection.

TIA,

Ian

-- 
Ian Stokes-Rees                 [email-masked]
Particle Physics, Oxford        http://www-pnp.physics.ox.ac.uk/~stokes

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:05:54 +0100

> Is anyone aware of the cause of this problem?

This may be by design. What is your default browser?

 > ...

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Ian Stokes-Rees <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:41:19 +0000

> This may be by design. What is your default browser?

I am using Windows File Explorer.  I have trouble believing this is by 
design.  I am quite sure that with *other* WebDAV folders I've been able 
to open files directly.

Cheers,

Ian

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:48:45 +0100

> I am using Windows File Explorer.  I have trouble believing this is by 

No, no. The default *browser*?

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Joachim Feise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:12:47 -0800

> design.  I am quite sure that with *other* WebDAV folders I've been able 

In general, non-WebDAV aware applications can not open files on a WebDAV
server, and the 'Open' open would be grayed out.
There are only a few Windows applications that are WebDAV aware, e.g., the
MS Office suite. So you can open Word files located on a WebDAV server,
but not jpeg files, for example.
As Julian said, this is by design.

-Joe

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:20:35 +0100

> As Julian said, this is by design.

I just checked (making the IE the default browser), and there are some 
file types (such as TXT) that can be opened when IE is the default 
browser. So I'd guess it depends on how Firefox registers for certain 
filetypes. Probably this is something that can be enhanced in Firefox 
(does anybody understand *exactly* what's going on here???).

Best regards, Julian