Subject: BugZilla issue 143: LOCK refresh uses Lock-Token header instead of If header

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:51:38 +0200

Hi,

one of the major problems that I see with the WGLC draft is that it 
makes an incompatible change to LOCK refresh. In practice this means 
that class 3 compliant servers will need to support both the new format 
(by definition), using "Lock-Token", *and* the old format (for backwards 
compatibility with legacy clients such as Microsoft Office). Right now, 
none of the servers I tested (except my own) implement the new format.

Clients, on the other hand, will need to check the server compliance 
level first, or just rely on the assumption that sending both headers 
will not cause problems.

This Does Not Make Sense.

At this point, I highly doubt that anybody has spent some thoughts on 
this; as far as I can tell, implementors are not aware of this 
incompatible change (to prove me wrong just post a follow up to this 
mail saying something like: "we are implementing the spec, we are aware 
of the implications of this change, and we like it").

Full details in 
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2006JanMar/0670.html> 
(summary on the mailing list), 
<http://ietf.cse.ucsc.edu:8080/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=143> (bug 
tracker entry) and 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-rfc2518bis-14.html#rfc.section.E.1.p.3> 
(RFC2518bis Changes Section).

Best regards, Julian