Subject: BugZilla issue 236: DAV:displayname

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:45:34 +0200

Hi,

find below proposed changes regarding issue 236 
(<http://ietf.cse.ucsc.edu:8080/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=236>):

Section 15.2., para. 6:
OLD:

     Description:   The DAV:displayname property should be defined on all
       DAV compliant resources.  If present, the property contains a
       description of the resource that is suitable for presentation to a
       user.  This property is defined on the resource, and hence SHOULD
       have the same value independent of the Request-URI used to
       retrieve it (thus computing this property based on the Request-URI
       is deprecated).  While generic clients will be able to use the
       value for display to end users, client UI designers must
       understand that the method for identifying resources is still the
       URL.  In particular, there is no guarantee whatsoever that the
       values of this property are unique for each member of a
       collection.  Also note that changes to DAV:displayname do not
       issue moves or copies to the server, but simply change a piece of
       meta-data on the individual resource.

NEW:

     Description:   The property contains a description of the resource
       that is suitable for presentation to a user.  This property is
       defined on the resource, and hence SHOULD have the same value
       independent of the Request-URI used to retrieve it (thus computing
       this property based on the Request-URI is deprecated).

       While generic clients will be able to use the value for display to
       end users, client UI designers must understand that the method for
       identifying resources is still the URL.  In particular, there is
       no guarantee whatsoever that the values of this property are
       unique for each member of a collection.  Also note that changes to
       DAV:displayname do not issue moves or copies to the server, but
       simply change a piece of meta-data on the individual resource.

(this get's rid of the first - misleading - sentence, and introduces a 
paragraph break after the normative part of the description).