Subject: RFC3648, DAV:collection-must-be-ordered precondition for ORDERPATCH

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 22:58:42 +0200

Hi.

We recently realized that RFC3648 forbids servers to allow ORDERPATCH to 
turn a previously unordered collection into an ordered collection (see 
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3648#page-13>).

Of course that's not what it was *supposed* to do. On an unordered 
collection, setting the DAV:ordering-type so that the collection becomes 
ordered of course is one of the use cases for it.

I added the issue as 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-rfc3648bis-latest.html#rfc.issue.7_must_be_ordered_precondition>, 
and propose to resolve it my changing the description of the 
precondition to:

"(DAV:collection-must-be-ordered): If the request is applied to an 
unordered collection, and if the request body contains an order-member 
element, it MUST also specify an ordering-type element, turning the 
previously unordered collection into an ordered collection (see also 
Section 6.1)."

(needless to say this is what SAP's KM has been implementing for years...).

Best regards, Julian