Subject: RE: WebDAV with Windows Vista

From: "Kevin Wiggen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:37:05 -0800

Basically MS removed the "webfolders" client in Vista and now only has
the mini-redirector (XP had BOTH and different version depending on
whether Office was installed).

http://www.vista64.net/forums/vista-general/21946-webdav-web-folder-clie
nt-msdaipp-dll-supported-vista.html

There are 2 shortcomings of the redirector spoken about here (note that
this is just to get the client to connect, once its connected I cannot
speak to other problems):

1)  The client requires the ability to OPTION / (not always true)
2)  The client will try to walk the chain from / to the mount point
(there are many reasons the client couldn't do this including security).

However if I try to mount /Kevin on a server (and have access to do so),
it will connect.

Also interesting that some of my follow-up comments were deleted from
the forum.  I guess someone didn't like the extended information I gave
:) 

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Konstantin Breu
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 6:46 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: WebDAV with Windows Vista

Hello,

@Mac/Linux users: I am sorry for asking **windows** specific questions
here.
Just stop reading... ;-)

I have a WebDAV server (J2EE based), there is no problem to use it with
Windows Explorer (via Network Resource), Internet Explorer (via open
page as
Web folder), Office 2003/2007 when using Windows XP SP2.

But so far I did not have any success when trying the same with Windows
Vista. Windows Explorer cannot create the connection (but it is doing
requests to the server), Internet Explorer only offers to open it as web
page (GET). Office 2007 also only does GET, when I try to access the
folders
an files in the file open dialog. If I enter there a folder address
(http://.....), it then does a GET against that address, and opens that
as
"document" in Word etc...

My question to the list: is there somebody, who was able to use Windows
Explorer/Internet Explorer/Office 2007 (or an older version) with
Windows
Vista as WebDAV client? Are there special settings for the client side,
or
additional installations, which I have to do? Or are there some
additional
requirements for the server, which Vista needs? (for example support of
some
Properties, Http headers, Authentication method,...) You could also send
me
communication logs, if your server works with Vista, and you do not know
why.... ;)

If there is somebody, who has the same problem: you can also drop me a
line,
then I could give you some hints when I have found out more... Of course
I
also searched in the internet for information... I found descriptions of
such problems, some people were describing workarounds, but so far these
workarounds did not help me...

I will also get into contact with Microsoft support, but this will take
some
longer time, as I or my chief will have to pay for it. I will also do
tests
with other clients (for example WebDrive), and other servers (for
example
Slide, Tomcat), to see how they are working when the client OS is
Vista...

Cheers,
Konstantin

P.S. I was testing so far with Vista Business, but I have access to all
versions.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:48:19 +0100

Kevin Wiggen schrieb:
> ...
> ...

Maybe you want to repeat them over here :-)

Best regards, Julian

---

From: "Konstantin Breu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:20:33 +0100

>  (there are many reasons the client couldn't do this including security).

I had seen that, too in my tests. And so enabled support for OPTION/PROPFIND
for / and the following directories up to my real WebDAV resources. So with
Windows XP I can access www.myserver.com/ as Webfolder or Webdav network
resource. But this alone did not help... all the http requests of the client
were answered correctly (according to RFC), but the client still did not
want to connect...

Btw, I saw the problem with OPTION / also in one situation when testing with
Office 2007 at Windows XP (when trying to update a file). Then Word displays
an error message...

Cheers,
Konstantin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im
Auftrag von Kevin Wiggen
Gesendet: Dienstag, 13. März 2007 18:37
An: Konstantin Breu; [email-masked]
Betreff: RE: WebDAV with Windows Vista

Kevin

-----Original Message-----

Hello,

Cheers,
Konstantin

---

From: "Konstantin Breu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:24:59 +0100

Hello,

> nt-msdaipp-dll-supported-vista.html

I have posted there now, too:
http://www.vista64.net/forums/vista-general/48154-webdav-support.html
I tried all workarounds posted in the forum in different topics. None of
them worked with my test client...

My first tests were with Vista Business - there I did not see any client
server requests when trying to get the network resource connection to the
webdav site. This was different with Vista Ultimate. There the client did
requests, but then still could not create the connection. I've done the test
now also with the webdav function offered by Apache Tomcat. It's just the
same. It works when the client is running at Windows XP, it does not work
with client running Vista...

Btw, they have a similar "Windows client workaround" like my webdav server:
http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=40160

Well now... according to the answers in this list it works at some Vista
clients of some persons. But when looking to the webdav questions at
http://www.vista64.net it does not work at every client. I will try now to
get better information from Microsoft support (to get some answer like "we
know the problem, it will be fixed with patch xyz"). Is anyone in this list
interested in that? Then I will post it here.

Cheers,
Konstantin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Kevin

-----Original Message-----

Hello,

Cheers,
Konstantin

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:02:25 +0100

> interested in that? Then I will post it here.

Of course we are interested. Good luck with Microsoft -- in the past 
years we've reported lots of issues, and almost never got a satisfying 
response (yes, with paid support).

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 09:23:40 -0400

Hi Konstantin,

--On March 15, 2007 10:24:59 AM +0100 Konstantin Breu 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> requests, but then still could not create the connection. I've done the
> test now also with the webdav function offered by Apache Tomcat. It's
> just the same. It works when the client is running at Windows XP, it does
> not work with client running Vista...

Could there be a firewall or some other network "security" turned on on 
your Vista install that is blocking connections?

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: "Konstantin Breu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:27:15 +0100

Hello,

> your Vista install that is blocking connections?

I think not... - 3rd party clients, like DriveOnWeb are working at the vista
machines, and also the XmlHttpRequest object can do all the WebDAV
communication. But I also switched off the Firewall of Vista, it did not
help. My Vista installations are "naked" installations of Ultimate/Business,
where I only did Windows Update + (optional) Installation of Office 2007.

If anyone has a system where it's working please send me the OPTIONS
response, if possible - maybe vista wants some special headers or values,
which my servers do not send... (MS-AUTHOR-VIA, DAV, Public, Allow...)

Cheers,
Konstantin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im
Auftrag von Cyrus Daboo
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 15. März 2007 14:24
An: Konstantin Breu; 'Kevin Wiggen'; [email-masked]
Betreff: Re: AW: WebDAV with Windows Vista

Hi Konstantin,

-- 
Cyrus Daboo