Subject: Re: IETF Last Call review: changes suggested

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 17:05:36 +0100

Julian Reschke schrieb:
>>       If the client wishes to avoid accidentally creating either 
>> lock-null or empty locked
>>         resources, an "If-Match: *" header can be included with LOCK 
>> requests to prevent the server from
>>         creating a new resource.
> 
> This will work in theory, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't in practice 
> because of server bugs (I'll try to write a test case next week). We 
> shouldn't recommend this as guidance unless we're pretty sure it works 
> in practice.
> ...

I finally found the time to write a test case (attached), and as 
expected, the results were mixed. The test passed on MS IIS (yikes!) and 
Xythos, but fails on SAP KM (we're fixing that right now) and Apache 
mod_dav (<https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=38034>).

Thus, adding this kind of recommendation may be more harmful than 
helpful, as long as it doesn't work with Apache moddav (volunteers?).

Best regards, Julian