Subject: WebDAV with Windows Vista

From: "Konstantin Breu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:46:11 +0100

Hello,

@Mac/Linux users: I am sorry for asking **windows** specific questions here.
Just stop reading... ;-)

I have a WebDAV server (J2EE based), there is no problem to use it with
Windows Explorer (via Network Resource), Internet Explorer (via open page as
Web folder), Office 2003/2007 when using Windows XP SP2.

But so far I did not have any success when trying the same with Windows
Vista. Windows Explorer cannot create the connection (but it is doing
requests to the server), Internet Explorer only offers to open it as web
page (GET). Office 2007 also only does GET, when I try to access the folders
an files in the file open dialog. If I enter there a folder address
(http://.....), it then does a GET against that address, and opens that as
"document" in Word etc...

My question to the list: is there somebody, who was able to use Windows
Explorer/Internet Explorer/Office 2007 (or an older version) with Windows
Vista as WebDAV client? Are there special settings for the client side, or
additional installations, which I have to do? Or are there some additional
requirements for the server, which Vista needs? (for example support of some
Properties, Http headers, Authentication method,...) You could also send me
communication logs, if your server works with Vista, and you do not know
why.... ;)

If there is somebody, who has the same problem: you can also drop me a line,
then I could give you some hints when I have found out more... Of course I
also searched in the internet for information... I found descriptions of
such problems, some people were describing workarounds, but so far these
workarounds did not help me...

I will also get into contact with Microsoft support, but this will take some
longer time, as I or my chief will have to pay for it. I will also do tests
with other clients (for example WebDrive), and other servers (for example
Slide, Tomcat), to see how they are working when the client OS is Vista...

Cheers,
Konstantin

P.S. I was testing so far with Vista Business, but I have access to all
versions.

---

From: "Joe Feise" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 10:26:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, March 13, 2007 06:46, Konstantin Breu wrote:
> Vista as WebDAV client?

Works fine here with IE 7, in my Vista virtual machine, connecting to a
commercial WebDAV server. Nothing special needs to be done.
I am running Vista Ultimate under VMWare.

-Joe