Subject: text in pre/postcondition

From: Arnaud Quillaud <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:11:09 +0100

Hello,

The definition of the pre/postconditions mentions that "If not specified 
otherwise, the content for each condition's XML element is defined to be 
empty." (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4918#section-16)

Implicitly, this seems to indicate that one can not stuff text within 
the condition element (at least for the ones defined by webdav) which is 
unfortunate as this would be very useful for interoperability testing.
Was this restriction made on purpose ?
Are there implementations that actually do stuff text within the condition ?

Thanks,

Arnaud Q

PS: I'm assuming that the same restriction applies to CalDAV/CardDAV (?...).

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:53:08 +0100

> unfortunate as this would be very useful for interoperability testing.

One could argue that the standard extensibility rules apply, thus you 
could have a custom child element which then in turn contains the text.

> Was this restriction made on purpose ?

As far as I recall, the purpose was to avoid specifying DTD fragments 
for each of them.

> Are there implementations that actually do stuff text within the 

I haven't seen that in practice.

> PS: I'm assuming that the same restriction applies to CalDAV/CardDAV 

Yes, by inheritance, I'd say.

BR, Julian