Subject: depth in draft-daboo-webdav-sync-01

From: Arnaud Quillaud <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 11:16:53 +0100

Hello,

In Section 4.2 
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-daboo-webdav-sync-01#section-4.2), the 
response is defined as:

<<

The response body for a successful DAV:sync-collection REPORT
      request MUST contain a DAV:sync-response element for each resource
      that was created, has changed or been deleted since the last
      synchronization operation as specified by the DAV:sync-token
      provided in the request.

Given that the depth header should be ignored, and given the ambiguity 
of the term "resource", it would be worth mentioning that this applies 
only to non-collection resources directly contained in the target 
collection.
In other words, creation/modification/deletion of subcollections and 
their children should not be included.

Arnaud

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 11:52:48 +0100

> their children should not be included.

I was going to write something related about carddav (still reading it...).

A definition of a WebDAV report absolutely MUST specify the scope of the 
request. So, for Depth:0, it needs to specify whether it affects only 
the resource at the Request-URI, or more. The semantics for Depth:1 or 
Depth:infinity then follow from that.

Specifying that the Depth header should be ignored or should be left out 
is in conflict with how reports work in general and thus makes it 
impossible to share code between various different reports.

BR, Julian