Subject: Issue with non-aggregate abstract privileges and DAV:current-user-privilege-set

From: Bernard Desruisseaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 09:41:12 -0400

In section 3 Privileges of RFC3744 
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3744#section-3> it says:

    Aggregate and non-aggregate privileges are both capable of being
    abstract.

but in section 5.4 DAV:current-user-privilege-set of RFC3744 
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3744#section-5.4> it says:

    Therefore, each element in the DAV:current-user-privilege-set
    property MUST identify a non-abstract privilege from the
    DAV:supported-privilege-set property.

In a discussion amongst CalDAV implementors, it was brought up that the 
above requirement would be problematic for implementations that supports 
non-aggregate "abstract" privileges.

That is, an implementation that allows such a privilege to be set 
individually on a resource (either by default or through a proprietary 
mechanism) would not be allowed to report this privilege in the 
DAV:current-user-privilege-set property.

Cheers,
Bernard

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 13:55:15 +0200

Bernard Desruisseaux wrote:
> ...

Recorded as 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-rfc3744bis-latest.html#rfc.issue.5.4-current-user-privilege-set-vs-abstract>.

BTW: the server running the  ACL mailing list has been down for quite 
some time (*), so I recommend to move all ACL relations over here.

BR, Julian

(*) Hopefully it will be possible to resurrect the archives...