Subject: XMLHttpRequest in IE7 with REPORT method

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 12:37:56 -0400

Hi,
Has anyone tried using XMLHttpRequest in IE7 to do WebDAV operations? 
Specifically we are finding that the REPORT method seems to fail on the 
.open() call (same thing for CalDAV's MKCALENDAR). PROPFIND works fine. Any 
ideas on whether REPORT can be made to work?

We have also tried using the Msxml2.XMLHTTP ActiveX object. Whilst that 
seems to accept REPORT as a valid method, it fails with digest 
authentication (basic works). What we see is that it makes an 
unauthenticated requests and gets back a 401 with the digest challenge, but 
then it makes another unauthenticated request and fails (instead of sending 
the digest response). Basic authentication works as does digest with 
PROPFIND. Any ideas what might be up?

Is there any other way in IE7 to make WebDAV REPORT requests that will work?

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 19:15:17 +0200

Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> .open() call (same thing for CalDAV's MKCALENDAR). PROPFIND works fine. 
> Any ideas on whether REPORT can be made to work?

Only by falling back to the ActiveX variant of XmlHttpRequest.

This issue has been reported to Microsoft something long ago (see thread 
around 
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JanMar/0352.html>), 
but first they claimed it was "by design", and then it was too late to 
change, even for IE8.

BTW: don't try to do this with Opera, it will silently change the method 
name to GET.

> unauthenticated requests and gets back a 401 with the digest challenge, 
> but then it makes another unauthenticated request and fails (instead of 
> sending the digest response). Basic authentication works as does digest 
> with PROPFIND. Any ideas what might be up?
>

I've used the ActiveX object a lot in the past, but probably not with 
Digest.

BR, Julian

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 13:28:29 -0400

Hi Julian,

--On May 14, 2009 7:15:17 PM +0200 Julian Reschke <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JanMar/0352.html>
> ), but first they claimed it was "by design", and then it was too late to
> change, even for IE8.
>

Has any effort gone into defining a standard for tunneling unsupported HTTP 
methods over, say, POST? That's what we will end up doing if there is no 
solution on the browser side - but then our webapp won't work with other 
servers unless they support POST-tunneling too.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Helge Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 19:51:16 +0200

On 14.05.2009, at 19:28, Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> Has any effort gone into defining a standard for tunneling  
> unsupported HTTP methods over, say, POST? That's what we will end up  
> doing if there is no solution on the browser side - but then our  
> webapp won't work with other servers unless they support POST- 
> tunneling too.

Its not a real standard, but maybe this would be an reasonable  
fallback option:

   X-HTTP-Method-Override

   http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/docs/2.0/basics.html

We do support that in our frameworks.

Greets,
   Helge
-- 
Helge Hess
http://helgehess.eu/