Subject: allow use of multipart/form-data in draft-reschke-webdav-post

From: Arnaud Quillaud <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 11:15:02 +0100

Hello,

Late comment on draft-reschke-webdav-post:

Browser based applications are not allowed to upload files from the 
client filesystem by any mean other than using an HTML form containing a 
file param and an enctype of multipart/form-data. As a consequence, 
those applications have no way to upload local files to a WebDAV 
repository using PUT (my knowledge of browser based technologies is 
rather limited but I have found at least a few references to this 
limitation).

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-reschke-webdav-post could partially 
solve this issue by simply allowing a multipart/form-data containing a 
single subpart to be POSTed.

Modifying a resource by uploading it again would still not be possible 
of course but that can be somehow workarounded.

Arnaud Quillaud

---

From: Petr Tomasek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 20:36:07 +0100

> of course but that can be somehow workarounded.

Wouldn't it be easier (and a cleaner solution) if the browsers just supported PUT/WebDAV?

P.T.

-- 
Petr Tomasek <http://www.etf.cuni.cz/~tomasek>
Jabber: [email-masked]
SIP: [email-masked]

---

From: Arnaud Quillaud <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 21:04:11 +0100

> Wouldn't it be easier (and a cleaner solution) if the browsers just supported PUT/WebDAV?
It might be cleaner but definitely not easier to get this standardized 
on all browsers (and have all legacy browsers disappear).

Found a page describing the behavior of different browsers at 
http://pseudo-flaw.net/content/web-browsers/form-data-encoding-roundup/

Arnaud Quillaud