Subject: action for visitors, apart f

From: Couper Hardter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 21:40:52 +0100

Nsmen retired, while the victorious Spaniards, who had been reinforced
by the French after a first repulse, returned with a few prisoners to
their ships, and sailed out of the harbour, having given the mariners of
Poole the greatest drubbing they have ever received in the long history
of the place. [Illustration: POOLE HARBOUR FROM CONSTITUTIONAL HILL]
Near Poole is Canford Manor, the seat of Lord Wimborne and the "Chene
Manor" of the Wessex novels. There was a house here in very early times,
and in the sixteenth year of his reign King John, by letter-close,
informed Ralph de Parco, the keeper of his wines at Southampton, that it
was his pleasure that three tuns "of our wines, of the best sort that is
in your custody", should be sent to Canford. In the fifth year of Henry
III the King addressed the following letter to Peter de Mauley:-- "You
are to know that we have given to our beloved uncle, William, Earl of
Sarum, eighty chevrons (cheverons) in our forest of Blakmore, for the
rebuilding of his houses (_ad domos_) at Caneford. Tested at
Westminster, 28th July." The present house occupies the site of the old
mansion of the Longspees and Montacutes, Earls of Salisbury, of which
the kitchen remains, with two enormous fireplaces, and curious chimney
shafts. The greater part of the old mansion was pulled down in 1765, and
the house which was then erected became, for a short time, the ho