Subject: Re: I-D Action:draft-brown-versioning-link-relations-04.txt

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 23:03:28 +0100

(FYI)

[email-masked] wrote:
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
> 
> 	Title           : Link Relations for Simple Version Navigation
> 	Author(s)       : A. Brown, et al.
> 	Filename        : draft-brown-versioning-link-relations-04.txt
> 	Pages           : 14
> 	Date            : 2009-12-04
> 
> This specification defines Atom link relations for navigation between
> a resource and its versions.
> 
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-brown-versioning-link-relations-04.txt
> 
> Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
> 
> Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
> implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
> Internet-Draft.
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> I-D-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
> Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
> or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: Jan Algermissen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 12:46:32 +0100

I have been wondering, whether working-copy should be included in the  
draft, or if it was too specific to particular versioning systems.  
Here is why I think it belongs into the draft:

Regardless of the kind of versioning system, there will allways be a  
copy of the versioned resource that serves as the basis for the change  
the user makes. Even in the case of updating an unversioned HTTP  
resource the user retrieves a representation of the resource, modifies  
this local (working-) copy and then updates the resource with the  
modified representation.

There is a special case where working copies are maintained by the  
server and made available to the user and only in this case the user  
does not necessarily know or have a hold of her working copy. The  
working copy link relation addresses exactly this special case.

 From this POV the working-copy link relation *completes* the draft  
regarding all aspects of working copies when interacting with  
authoring systems. Hence - it should be in there (as it currently is).

Jan

>> implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the

--------------------------------------
Jan Algermissen

Mail: [email-masked]
Blog: http://algermissen.blogspot.com/
Home: http://www.jalgermissen.com
--------------------------------------