Subject: If Header interaction with If-Match, etc

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 18:58:27 -0500

What, if any, interaction does the If header have with the other 
conditional headers?  HTTPbis part 4 
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p4-conditional) 
specifically states which headers can't/shouldn't be used together.

I assume that If-Match and If-None-Match shouldn't be used with If, but 
what about If-[un]modified-Since and If?  Should an implementation just 
look for and use If when specified and ignore all other conditionals?

-- 
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer
Carnegie Mellon University

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 08:35:16 +0100

> look for and use If when specified and ignore all other conditionals?

I would think the safest thing to do is to evaluate "If" in addition to 
whatever else gets evaluated; but I have to confess I haven't thought 
through all consequences.

Maybe we need to look at a few tricky examples?

Best regards, Julian